DIY Chambray Dress

Making a vow not to buy any new fabrics until my overflow is depleted (well...to a certain extent), I decided to shop my studio closet for this latest project.  Not sure where I bought this light blue chambray fabric since I've been hoarding it for some time, I just knew it was going to work.  One night I ran across this MSGM top pictured below, it looked like a fun and cute take on an off the shoulder top.  But at $425!!  

 MSGM Top: $425

MSGM Top: $425

McCalls 6562

McCalls 6562 (OOP) option D helped me with some of the elements from the inspirational top.  Quite a few edits were used for a personalized touch.  One could go with Option D without the sleeve, leave it as a top, and add a few rows of ruffles.. and there you go.

Edits:

-2 rows of ruffles.  Top row = 2"  Bottom row=4"

-Added 2 " to sides of sleeve for fullness and volume

-Increased length by 6"

-Pleats at bottom of dress

-2 side godets

 Side godet

Side godet

 Trying out placement of ruffles

Trying out placement of ruffles

 Test of structured ruffle with horsehair

Test of structured ruffle with horsehair