Halter Romper with Ankara Pleated skirt

Halter Romper with Ankara Pleated skirt

Jumpsuits are so versatile and easy to style.  Who wouldn't want to simplify their life by being styled in an all in one outfit.  I love the elegance of jumpsuits and how you can style them up or down.  The playfulness of rompers are also perfect for carefree weekends. Now,  I've always had trouble with jumpsuits fitting me correctly since I'm 5'2".  So why not just make my own, right?

I purchased this teal crepe that was so easy to iron and sew with from a local fabric store called High Fashions Fabric

Top of Romper was made with Burda pattern, option A. 

The following alterations were:

Cut 6 inched down middle of front

Add an additional 4" to each side at top by shoulder for deep pleats instead of gathers

Add additional 2"  to back at top of shoulder for deep pleats instead of gathers

Exposed CB of 10" instead of 3"

Attached 17" zipper in back of both shirt and shorts

Removed 3" from bottom of shirt

Added interfacing to standing neck band for stability

 

Shorts were made with McCalls Pattern, option B

The following alterations were:

Changed side zipper to back zipper

Removed darts

Removed waistband

Tapered pattern based on measurement of waist, hip and thigh.

Shorten to liking

 From sketching to RTW.  Amazing and rewarding process.

From sketching to RTW.  Amazing and rewarding process.

 

When I bought the fabric for the romper I immediately knew what to pair it with.  No pattern was used for the skirt.  The width of fabric was 45" which was folded in half as I cut:

2 panels of 23" long

One 6" panel for waistband and interfaced as well.

Stitched the two 23" panels together.

Since these shorts are well above the "fingertips" I thought a cover skirt would be great for when I wanted slightly more coverage. I wanted my shorts exposed even when wearing the skirt.  So I took the waistband and wrapped it around my waist before adding skirt and measured 3 inches from CF on both L and R sides for the opening. 

Pleats were added to entire skirt.

2 button holes added to waistband.